Monday 16 January 2012

Grouchy old bastard … at 44!!!

I’ve been informed that I’m getting grouchy. Or … more grouchy than I usually am when I point and swear at the television whenever there’s a politician on screen telling lies. Over the previous couple of weeks, I’ve been like the proverbial bear with the sore head because I’ve been struggling with a head-cold, made worse with a dose of sinusitis, nausea, dizziness, fatigue, lethargy, and if there was a market for snot I’d have made a fortune from the amount I produced. ICK!!! It’s had a devastating affect on my productivity. A few brief notes and memos scribbled, but no new pages established, and I kept my online time to just long enough to process any new orders I received, and then I promptly logged off again. Looking at the VDU monitor felt like I was provoking a migraine. I decided it was best to play it safe while my body finally won the war against this seasonal illness, but it ratcheded up my grouchometer a few more notches.
I turned 44-years-old last Friday.
It’s not a remarkable age in the grand scheme of things, but still a wake-up call to me that I’m not 43 anymore. What changes do I notice? Not too many other than my eyebrows are acquiring some white strands, so my winter plumage is getting a foothold.
Some friends I have conversations with on a regular basis have commented on how my sense of humor ranges from dry wit to zany practical joking, depending on my mood and the situations. This led to a conversation on who we imagine we’d all most likely be in our old age. So far, I have been likened to three fictional characters:


Walter Matthau, as Max Goldman, in Grumpy Old Men (1993) … for his caustic wit and penchant for practical jokes.










Peter Boyle, as Frank Barone, in the TV show Everybody Loves Raymond … for his similar sarcastic sense of humor.



Finally, because I love vigilante stories so much, and again for the humor inherent in the character, including the fact that I also swear like a trooper, they chose Clint Eastwood, as Walt Kowalski, in Gran Torino (2008).
I like that character best of all and it’s a vision of myself that may well come true, as one day I sit on a porch somewhere, with drink by my side, a dog (or several dogs) keeping me company, looking around with disdain, grumbling and snarling at the world – just like old Walt.Which grouchy old bastard do you imagine you might eventually turn into?
While you ponder on that … I’ve included some other great stills below of Clint Eastwood, in the role of Walt Kowalski, in Gran Torino. A great character study and a role Clint was born to play.
So ... in a couple of decades ... you pass by a porch and see a grouchy old bastard, with a dog at his feet, drink in his hand, looking like he's snarling more than his dog ... pay him no mind ... it might just be me!








2 comments:

  1. Haha, well from one grouchy old bastard to another, I just turned forty and I'm now and older sober member of AA. Now wonder I'm grouchy. :) I'm also a practical joker and a bit of a rebel. It's funny how grouchy old men can still have a sense of humour. I have different characters I post on YouTube under the channel Hobgoblin60. One is me claiming to be Fido Bedo from the movie Every Which Way But Loose. I'm a Clint Eastwood Fan and also like The Grumpy Old Men. Peter Boyle is great in many things. I love One Foot in The Grave. I used to say that character was my dad, but now it seems I've become him too. Lovely. :(

    Hope to get back to England for a tramp around one day. My parents are from there. I'm tramping around Australia at the moment, promoting my book.

    Thanks for the re-tweet, mate. Bet your books are great, I'll re-tweet them and when I settle down for a while, I'll read them - sound a bit like mine.

    The old swag and backpack are getting a bit too heavy for a rusty old hobo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I just turned 39 and while you don't have any grouchy old women, in a perfect world, I'd be Helen Mirren in Red. But, alas...

    If I were a man, I'd imagine I'd be Walt. He's fiercely loyal to those who deserve it. Though I doubt I could ever treat my kids that way even if they were bastards. And I doubt I could ever find a spouse worthy of such loyalty LOL But, ideally, he'd be tops!

    ReplyDelete